Posted on: 11 July 2023
Many shopping malls have multiple floors and several flights of stairs or escalators as a result. While browsing a shopping mall, you might step on a broken step and suddenly fall down the stairs. Accidents on the stairs can cause serious injuries, and you might be entitled to compensation depending on the extent of your injuries.
To prove a claim, you need to show that:
- The department store owed you a duty of care as a lawful visitor
- The department store breached that duty by creating a dangerous situation
- The dangerous condition caused you to fall
- You suffered injuries and damages as a result of the fall
You might have fallen because of wet, slippery, or uneven surfaces, or there might have been loose, broken, or missing steps or handrails. Various factors can contribute to slip and fall accidents, such as poor lighting or visibility, clutter, debris, obstacles, and a lack of warning signs or barriers.
Defending Your Claim
If you have been injured on the stairs of a department store, you should take the following steps:
- Seek medical attention
- Report the accident to the department store manager or staff
- Obtain a copy of the incident report
- Take photos or videos
- Gather contact information from any witnesses
- Keep all receipts, bills, medical records, and other documents related to your injuries
Also, make sure to contact an attorney to help you negotiate a fair settlement.
Understanding What Determines Your Settlement Amount
The amount of compensation you can receive for a slip and fall accident on the stairs of a department store depends on various factors, such as:
- The severity and extent of your injuries
- The degree of negligence
- The strength of evidence to support your claim
- The laws and regulations in your jurisdiction
An attorney can help you learn the value of your claim based on these factors. They can also advise you on the best course of action to pursue your claim, whether it is through negotiation, mediation, arbitration, or litigation.
Slip and fall accidents on the stairs of a department store can cause severe injuries and damages that may affect your physical, emotional, and financial well-being. If you have been injured in such an accident, you should seek legal help from a slip and fall attorney to defend your legal rights and help you obtain compensation either through a settlement or by taking your case to court.
For more info, contact a local slip and fall attorney.Share